Splurge or Save? - The Ultimate Beauty Handbook Part 1

19:23

Coming from a family of all girls (except Dad obvs), you'd think the beauty 'handbook' would consist of tips that I inherited from my mum and older sister (shameless promotion), but it turns out that I was the first in the family to be a makeup enthusiast. After a couple of years of a severe case of beauty-youtuber-itis and an addiction to the world of fashion and beauty blogs, my sister began to hound me with questions like this:
"Whats the best foundation to use?"
"Should I buy this Chanel foundation?"
"How do I contour properly?"

Image Courtesy: Tumblr (fuckyeahmaygan.tumblr.com)
"Which brushes should I use?"

Although she's quickly mastered the art of the winged eyeliner, her lack of knowledge proved to me that many of the regular human beings who actually have social lives and don't spend their nights on youtube probably have similar questions. Hence the 'Ultimate Beauty Handbook' (Part 1); your in-depth guide to makeup and beauty.

So lets begin with the basic makeup kit, and where to invest your hard earned dollars. WARNING: This list is going to be pretty long, so grab a bowl of popcorn and get your reading glasses.
Products to SPLURGE on: (and some cheaper alternatives)

Cleanser: The key to nice makeup is nice skin, so a good quality cleanser is a paramount member of your makeup collection (despite not actually being makeup). I once read a quote by Lara Bingle/Worthington (or someone similar, don't quote me) that basically said that if you wouldn't consume harsh chemicals, why would you put them on your skin? This has basically become my motto with cleansers. I'm not a complete natural beauty with this one but I like to stick as organic as possible (with a couple of exceptions like the First Aid Beauty cleanser). I'm not going to suggest cleansers because what works for my complexion probably won't work for you, but try to steer clear of cheap supermarket cleansers that contain cheap chemicals that are rough on the skin. First Aid Beauty or Lush Cosmetics have some good stuff, and if you want to really splurge, get yourself a Clarisonic, you won't regret it!

Moisturiser/Serum/Eye Cream: The same point as above applies here, quality products wont contain the harsh chemicals that are in cheap stuff. Similarly, I'm not going to do much in the way of suggesting because this all depends on your complexion, age and skin goals.
Moisturiser: Benefit Triple Performing Facial Emulsion - $47
Serum: Anything by Estee Lauder works wonders, they have a great range to suit each skin type
Eye Creams: Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye - $95 or Benefit It's Potent Eye Cream - $46

Brushes: A major beauty blunder that many girls make is applying expensive foundation with a cheap brush, or without a brush at all! I hate to break it to you but that $60/bottle foundation wont look any better than a $6 foundation if you don't apply it properly. Sigma and Mac have great face brushes if you have a higher budget and Real Techniques have a similar brush for a lower price tag, however you'll need to replace it more often. If you like a lighter coverage, go for a BeautyBlender for smooth, streak-free coverage. You'll also want to pick up a nice powder brush and a contour brush too!

Foundation: After all, it is the 'foundation' of your face, right? Gonna keep it simple with this one because theres only a few that I recommend.
1. Estee Lauder Double Wear - $50
2. Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow - $58
3. Rimmel Wake Me Up

Highlighter: If you're like me and all about the glow and the glamour, highlight will be important to you. Although this post has basically been centred around Benefit, (I swear it's not sponsored! I wish it was!) their High Beam didn't make the cut, mainly because I much prefer the finish of a powder highlight.
1. NARS Albatross - $42
2. Mac Mineralize Skin Finish - Soft and Gentle - $47
3. Smashbox Step-by-Step Contour Kit (highlight shade) [This is a matte shade that I use to brighten my under eye area but I thought I'd include it here anyways because it's also my favourite bronzer.] - $66

Red Lipstick: Red lips are a staple to any makeup kit. Once again I'll keep it simple because I don't think it needs explaining. The brand doesn't really matter but my key tips are:
- Get a lipliner - My aunty told me this when she gave me my first red Chanel lipstick, because apparently red always bleeds. (ironic eh?) It can be cheap, but it is essential
- Get a matte lip colour - Australis do a great liquid lipstick that's a beautiful matte red shade for $10.49.

- Get a glossy lip colour - Although I generally go for the matte lip, nothing is more sexy yet sophisticate than a red glossy lip with a fine winged eyeliner. I use this Chanel one

Nude Lip: See Above.
One choice - Mac - Velvet Teddy. - $36

Buy it.

Now.


Brows: If you're like me and were born with naturally non-existent brows, invest in some good product for them. It'll frame your face and make you look like a makeup guru in no time. Most days I'll go to work with nothing more than a wand of mascara and my brows done, no one is the wiser!
Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow is my cult-fave! - $30 on Sephora (cheaper than the Anastasia website!)

Your Signature Look: This one is kind of a given, but invest in your signature look (or the feature you most want to enhance). My signature look is all about the winged eyeliner, the matte red lip and bold brows. These are the products I splurge on because I know they'll get use. Theres not much use in buying 500 shades of lipstick when you only wear 5.

And the good news is, you can get most of these at Sephora now, because they have an Australian online store now, YAY! www.sephora.com.au

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook